DSR Richmond Qualifying Report
Category : DSR news
NHRA Virginia Nationals
Event 8 of 24 (Richmond)
Virginia Motorsports Park
North Dinwiddie, Va.
May 17-19, 2019
DSR Richmond Saturday Highlights:
- Funny Car pilots Tommy Johnson Jr. and Ron Capps will start from the No. 2 and 3 positions on Sunday at Virginia Motorsports Park
- Matt Hagan also qualified in the top half of the Funny Car field
- Johnson raced the Make-A-Wish Hellcat to the quickest E.T. of Q3
- Capps navigated the NAPA Brakes machine to the quickest pass of Q4
- Capps made a ‘top three’ run in three out of the four qualifying sessions
- Leah Pritchett will start race day from the quick-half of the Top Fuel field for the seventh consecutive event
- Antron Brown powered the Matco ‘Tools for the Cause’ Top Fuel machine to the second quickest-run of the third session
- Round one features two DSR intramural battles: Pritchett vs. Brown, Hagan vs. Jack Beckman
TOMMY JOHNSON JR.
Driver of the Make-A-Wish Foundation Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Qualified: No. 2 (lane choice)
The Competition: No. 15 Terry Haddock
Q1: 4.135 E.T. at 252.10 MPH
Q2: 3.922 E.T. at 323.58 MPH (Two bonus points for second quickest run of the session)
Q3: 4.029 E.T. at 314.68 MPH (Three bonus points for quickest run of the session)
Q4: 4.021 E.T. at 312.21 MPH
Bonus Points: Five
“Sunday’s conditions look like they’re going to be just like Saturday’s, so to go down the track both runs and lay down two solid 4.02s in a row, with one of those holding up to be the quickest of the session, it shows how consistent our Make-A-Wish Dodge is and it should make for a good race day tomorrow.”
About Don Schumacher Racing
Don Schumacher Racing (DSR) is the winningest team in NHRA Drag Racing history, having claimed more than 325 NHRA national event titles and 17 world championships since opening its doors in 1998.
Headquartered in Brownsburg, Indiana, DSR fields seven professional teams competing in the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing series. In Top Fuel, the Matco Tools dragster driven by three-time world champion Antron Brown, the MOPAR/Pennzoil/Sparkling Ice dragster driven by Leah Pritchett and eight-time world champion Tony Schumacher’s machine. In Funny Car, the NAPA AUTO PARTS Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat driven by 2016 world champion Ron Capps, the Mopar Express Lane/Pennzoil/Sandvik Coromant Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat piloted by Matt Hagan, and in Terry and Doug Chandler’s ‘giving cars,’ 2012 NHRA world champion Jack Beckman in the Infinite Hero Foundation Dodge, and Tommy Johnson Jr. behind the wheel of the Make-A-Wish Dodge.
DSR also campaigns two Factory Stock Showdown entries. The duo is piloted by Pritchett, the 2018 Factory Stock Showdown Series champion, and former Pro Stock racer Mark Pawuk.
Follow Don Schumacher Racing at Shoeracing.com, on Twitter and Instagram at @shoeracing and Facebook.com/shoeracing.