DSR Pomona I Qualifying Report
Category : DSR news
Event 1 of 24 (Pomona I)
Auto Club Raceway at Pomona
February 8-10, 2019
DSR Pomona I Saturday Highlights:
- The DSR Funny Cars occupy four out of the top five qualifying spots and will start race day from the quick-half of the field
- Jack Beckman and Tommy Johnson Jr. each earned three bonus points by powering to the quickest runs of session three (Johnson) and session four (Beckman); Matt Hagan also earned Funny Car bonus points by making the second-quickest pass of Q3
- Hagan chasing third consecutive season-opening Winternationals triumph
- Antron Brown recorded the top speed of the meet (333.08-mph) and the third-quickest E.T. of the session during Q4
- Brown will start race day from third and faces teammate Leah Pritchett in round one
TOMMY JOHNSON JR.
Driver of the Make-A-Wish Foundation Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Qualified: No. 3 (lane choice)
The Competition: No. 14 Tim Wilkerson
Q1: 8.010 E.T. at 79.35 MPH
Q2: 3.929 E.T. at 314.61 MPH (Two bonus points for second quickest run of the session)
Q3: 3.904 E.T. at 327.03 MPH (Three bonus points for quickest run of the session)
Q4: 8.695 E.T. at 80.93 MPH
Bonus Points: Five
“We started the 2018 NHRA World Finals from No. 3 and made it to the final round. It’s basically the same race car that we brought back out this weekend here at the Winternationals and it’s running just as good. I’ve got all of the confidence in the world that we’ll go out there and lay down some good runs tomorrow, but it’s going to be tough as cold as it’s going to be so we’ll have to learn from that first session.”
About Don Schumacher Racing:
Don Schumacher Racing (DSR) is the winningest team in NHRA Drag Racing history, having claimed more than 325 NHRA national event titles and 17 world championships since opening its doors in 1998.
Headquartered in Brownsburg, Indiana, DSR fields seven professional teams competing in the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing series. In Top Fuel, the Matco Tools dragster driven by three-time world champion Antron Brown, the MOPAR/Pennzoil/Sparkling Ice dragster driven by Leah Pritchett and eight-time world champion Tony Schumacher’s machine. In Funny Car, the NAPA AUTO PARTS Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat driven by 2016 world champion Ron Capps, the Mopar Express Lane/Pennzoil/Sandvik Coromant Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat piloted by Matt Hagan, and in Terry and Doug Chandler’s ‘giving cars,’ 2012 NHRA world champion Jack Beckman in the Infinite Hero Foundation Dodge, and Tommy Johnson Jr. behind the wheel of the Make-A-Wish Dodge.
DSR also campaigns two Factory Stock Showdown entries. The duo is piloted by Pritchett, the 2018 Factory Stock Showdown Series champion, and former Pro Stock racer Mark Pawuk.
Follow Don Schumacher Racing at Shoeracing.com, on Twitter and Instagram at @shoeracing and Facebook.com/shoeracing.