DSR Qualifying Highlights:
- Leah Pruett (Top Fuel) and Tommy Johnson Jr. (Funny Car) lead DSR’s nitro fleet. Both will start race day from the No. 2 position
- Pruett earned bonus points during both Top Fuel qualifying sessions by powering to a ‘top three’ run each round
- By qualifying for the Factory Stock Showdown field, Pruett will have the opportunity to race for two Wally trophies on Sunday; Mark Pawuk also qualified for the first Factory Stock event of 2020
- Brian Corradi tuned the Global Electronic Technology/Toyota tandem of Antron Brown and Tony Schumacher to top-half qualifying positions; Both earned bonus points for running a ‘top three’ pass
- Jack Beckman and Ron Capps secured starting positions in the quick-half of the Funny Car field
- Round one will feature a DSR intramural battle between Capps and last week’s race winner, Matt Hagan
Capps was second-quickest of round one, and Johnson was second-quickest in round two
TOMMY JOHNSON JR.
Driver of the MD Anderson Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Qualified: No. 2 (lane choice)
The Competition: No. 15 Bob Bode
Q1: 4.572 E.T. at 186.41 MPH
Q2: 4.017 E.T. at 300.86 MPH (Two points for second-quickest run of the session)
Bonus Points: Two
“This two-run qualifying deal puts a lot of pressure on the teams. It’s interesting to see everybody have trouble on the first run and that puts a lot more pressure on that Q2 run to get in the show. To come out and go from fifteenth to No. 1 and end up second is great. Hats off to (crew chiefs) John (Collins) and Rip (Reynolds) and this team. We have a good race car, just trickier track conditions than we saw last weekend. It will probably be trickier tomorrow with the heat, but that 4.01 in the last session was solid and that sets us up for a good race day.”
About Don Schumacher Racing:
Established in 1998 as a single-car Top Fuel team, Don Schumacher Racing (DSR) has grown to become the winningest organization in NHRA Drag Racing history. Including team owner Don Schumacher’s five NHRA Funny Car titles from the 1970s, DSR’s current win count stands at 347, and DSR is looking forward to reaching the ‘350 milestone’ early in the 2020 season. DSR owns 17 world championships in three different NHRA categories.
Headquartered in Brownsburg, Indiana, DSR currently fields eight professional teams competing in the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series. In Top Fuel, the Matco Tools/Global Electronic Technology/Toyota dragster driven by three-time world champion Antron Brown, the Nordic Boats/Revchem Composites/Hawkeye Industries dragster driven by Cory McClenathan, the Mopar/Pennzoil/Okuma dragster driven by Leah Pruett, and the Global Electronic Technology machine driven by eight-time world champion Tony Schumacher. In Funny Car, the NAPA AUTO PARTS Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat driven by 2016 world champion Ron Capps, the Mopar Express Lane/Pennzoil/Sandvik Coromant Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat piloted by two-time series title-holder Matt Hagan, and in Doug Chandler’s ‘giving cars,’ 2012 NHRA world champion Jack Beckman in the Infinite Hero Foundation Dodge, and Tommy Johnson Jr. behind the wheel of the MD Anderson Dodge.
DSR also campaigns two Factory Stock Showdown entries. The duo is piloted by Pruett, the 2018 Factory Stock Showdown Series champion, and former Pro Stock racer Mark Pawuk.
Follow Don Schumacher Racing at Shoeracing.com, on Twitter and Instagram at @shoeracing and Facebook.com/shoeracing.