DSR Denver Qualifying Report
Category : DSR news
Dodge Mile-High NHRA Nationals
Presented by Pennzoil
Event 14 of 24 (Denver)
July 19-21, 2019
DSR Denver Saturday Highlights:
- Leah Pritchett (Top Fuel) and Tommy Johnson Jr. (Funny Car) lead DSR after qualifying their MOPAR-powered machines second in their respective categories
- Both Pritchett and Johnson rocketed to the second-quickest E.T.s of both the third and fourth qualifying sessions
- Antron Brown joins his Top Fuel teammate at the top of the field
- Matt Hagan was quickest amongst the Funny Cars in Q3 to earn a spot in the top-half of the ladder
- Ron Capps will have lane choice after earning a top-half starting positionNote: Funny Car Q4 was abbreviated due to rain. Ron Capps was the only DSR driver that did not get to make a Q4 run.
TOMMY JOHNSON JR.
Driver of the Make-A-Wish Foundation Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Qualified: No. 2 (lane choice)
The Competition: No. 15 Jeff Diehl
Q1: 7.235 E.T. at 89.20 MPH
Q2: 6.619 E.T. at 97.96 MPH
Q3: 4.091 E.T. at 300.86 MPH (Two bonus points for second quickest run of the session)
Q4: 3.978 E.T. at 317.72 MPH (Two bonus points for second quickest run of the session)
Bonus Points: Four
“It’s tough to run up here, and Friday proved that. Everybody struggled to try and get a handle on the tune-up. Luckily, we were able to get four qualifying runs in with the rain showers and refine the tune-up and get a handle on it. Tonight’s Q4 run was probably in a little bit better conditions than we’ll see tomorrow, but it’s going to be close. It’s supposed to be nice and cool tomorrow. I was a little worried about running (E1) at 11:00 a.m. because we don’t have any data from 11:00 a.m., but this will be close. I’m excited. We hit the tune-up pretty good on that last run, and we should have a solid car for tomorrow.”
About Don Schumacher Racing:
Don Schumacher Racing (DSR) is the winningest team in NHRA Drag Racing history, having claimed more than 325 NHRA national event titles and 17 world championships since opening its doors in 1998.
Headquartered in Brownsburg, Indiana, DSR fields seven professional teams competing in the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing series. In Top Fuel, the Matco Tools dragster driven by three-time world champion Antron Brown, the MOPAR/Pennzoil/Sparkling Ice dragster driven by Leah Pritchett and eight-time world champion Tony Schumacher’s machine. In Funny Car, the NAPA AUTO PARTS Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat driven by 2016 world champion Ron Capps, the Mopar Express Lane/Pennzoil/Sandvik Coromant Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat piloted by Matt Hagan, and in Terry and Doug Chandler’s ‘giving cars,’ 2012 NHRA world champion Jack Beckman in the Infinite Hero Foundation Dodge, and Tommy Johnson Jr. behind the wheel of the Make-A-Wish Dodge.
DSR also campaigns two Factory Stock Showdown entries. The duo is piloted by Pritchett, the 2018 Factory Stock Showdown Series champion, and former Pro Stock racer Mark Pawuk.
Follow Don Schumacher Racing at Shoeracing.com, on Twitter and Instagram at @shoeracing and Facebook.com/shoeracing.