DSR Charlotte II Qualifying Report
Category : DSR news
NTK NHRA Carolina Nationals
Event 21 of 24 (Charlotte II)
Countdown Event 3 of 6
Oct. 11-13, 2019
DSR Charlotte II Saturday Highlights:
- Jack Beckman topped the Funny Car field and will start race day from the No. 1 spot for the 26th time in his career
- All DSR entries earned top-half qualifying positions and will have the advantage of lane choice in round one of eliminations
- Leah Pritchett rocketed to the quickest Top Fuel pass of Q4 to capture the No. 2 qualifying spot
- Antron Brown joins Pritchett in the top half of the Top Fuel field
- Matt Hagan laid down the quickest run of Funny Car Q4 and will start race day from third
- Defending Funny Car event champion Ron Capps will start from inside the ‘top five’
TOMMY JOHNSON JR.
Driver of the Make-A-Wish Foundation Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Qualified: No. 8 (lane choice)
The Competition: No. 9 Cruz Pedregon
Q1: 4.233 E.T. at 219.08 MPH
Q2: 4.238 E.T. at 217.28 MPH
Q3: 4.584 E.T. at 179.44 MPH
Q4: 3.950 E.T. at 321.65 MPH
“Qualifying was a bit of a struggle for us. We had a really good, quick car early in the run but couldn’t make it to the finish line. Fortunately, we got it up in the top half of the field on that last shot. It should be qualified better than it is. We have a better race car than that. Hopefully, tomorrow, with a bigger weather change, we’ll be able to adjust for that and get the car to show its full potential. I think we have a good race car. Even though we didn’t show it in qualifying, I think we have a really good racecar for race day.”DSR Charlotte II Friday Qualifying Report
About Don Schumacher Racing:
Don Schumacher Racing (DSR) is the winningest team in NHRA Drag Racing history, having claimed more than 335 NHRA national event titles and 17 world championships since opening its doors in 1998.
Headquartered in Brownsburg, Indiana, DSR fields seven professional teams competing in the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing series. In Top Fuel, the Matco Tools dragster driven by three-time world champion Antron Brown, the MOPAR/Pennzoil/Sparkling Ice dragster driven by Leah Pritchett and eight-time world champion Tony Schumacher’s machine. In Funny Car, the NAPA AUTO PARTS Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat driven by 2016 world champion Ron Capps, the Mopar Express Lane/Pennzoil/Sandvik Coromant Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat piloted by Matt Hagan, and in Terry and Doug Chandler’s ‘giving cars,’ 2012 NHRA world champion Jack Beckman in the Infinite Hero Foundation Dodge, and Tommy Johnson Jr. behind the wheel of the Make-A-Wish Dodge.
DSR also campaigns two Factory Stock Showdown entries. The duo is piloted by Pritchett, the 2018 Factory Stock Showdown Series champion, and former Pro Stock racer Mark Pawuk.